April 26, 2012
PRINCESS ANNE, Md. – The University of Maryland Eastern Shore softball team is pleased to announce that three more recruits are set to join the squad for the 2012-13 season. The three signees were announced by head coach Sam Douglas on Tuesday.
Let’s take a look at the three student-athletes:
Kaitlyn Boyd – Pitcher (West Deptford, N.J./West Deptford H.S.)
- Boyd is a senior captain that also plays club softball with the Jersey Jaguars.
- The 5’7 signee has played numerous positions for West Deptford, including first base, outfield and pitcher.
- Voted Most Valuable Player of the Ice Breaker tournament in 2011 and set a record for the 100m dash in track.
- Plans to major in special education and teaching at UMES.
Vanessa Gomez – Catcher (Belleville, N.J./Belleville H.S.)
- Gomez has developed a reputation as one of the best defensive backstops in northern New Jersey.
- The left-handed catcher hit .506 and ripped 42 hits in 2011.
- Elite player in the Super Essex Conference and is an offensive threat with the bat, while batting in the first two spots of Belleville’s lineup.
- Plans to major in Physical Therapy at UMES.
Trenece Nash – Infield (Decatur, Ga./Southwest DeKalb H.S.)
- Nash is a versatile player that has experience at shortstop, second-base, third-base and catcher.
- Played five years of travel ball with the Georgia Crusaders Gold and the Georgia Elite.
- Received four varsity letters while at Southwest DeKalb and was named Rookie of the Year in 2008.
- Led the county in 2010 with a .719 batting average and hit seven homers with 33 RBIs.
- Team captain in 2011 and used a .500 batting average to become the MVP of the All-Star game.
- Played in four national tournaments over the past three years.
The three recruits bring the recruiting class for the 2012-13 season to four, as Rachel Vander Ven (Dover, Del.) signed with the Hawks earlier this year.
For complete recaps, results and news of Hawk athletics, please visit www.umeshawks.com